Re: API freeze and feature freeze on Jan 10th

On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 12:21 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 11:14 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 12:16 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > > GNOME 2.9 will hit API/ABI freeze and feature freeze on January 10th, so
> > > you have just a few more days to make those last-minute changes:
> > > http://www.gnome.org/start/2.9/#API_Freeze
> >
> > Just to note that the API freeze will leave nautilus-cd-burner in a bad
> > state. I haven't had time to finish the work I started on it, and the
> > API is still a bit in motion.
>
> What new API has been (or will be) added/changed?
>
> What are the consequences of using the older API? Maybe it can wait for
> 2.11/2.11?

There's no older API, we renamed everything to be namespaced. There are
unfinished APIs (like nautilus_burn_recorder_blank_disc()).

> > It's the first time the API (and code) freezes are done after Christmas,
> > and I, along with a couple of other developers, won't have time to
> > finish what we set out to finish.
>
> On the other hand, API changes really shouldn't be done at the last
> minute. Christmas happens regularly, and it shouldn't be a surprise.

I went back as far as GNOME 2.1, and can't find a release where the
freeze dates were right after Christmas.

> > If the problem was only new features would get punted, it wouldn't be so
> > much of a problem, but there are already added features that need
> > cleaning up.
> >
> > I would hope we could push the schedule back by a week (at least).
>
> We really should avoid that.

That's really not going to make much difference to the whole schedule,
but you'll get a less crappy CD burner...

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>