Re: Proposed Modules, My Take

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005, Davyd Madeley wrote:

Voting no. I would rather see GNOME be soundserver agnostic via
GStreamer. This opens us up to more platforms, including ones which
already have kickarse sound servers (like CoreAudio), and generally
gives vendors more choices.

If I remember the discussions correctly, bundling polypaudio wouldn't bind GNOME to it, there would still be other choices, but polypaudio would be a "guaranteed to work" solution and plays nicely with KDE too. Leaving more choices to vendors means vendors increasingly will put together their own version of GNOME which isn't very related to what the GNOME project releases.

I must confess I'm not much of an expert at sound servers, but I've followed the discussions and honestly I don't understand what the problem is with including polypaudio. Especially since GNOME is supposed to have functioning sound on non-Linux platforms too and the author has put in every effort to make it GNOME-compatible.

Voting no. It's just a wrapper to wget. People who are using wget, know
how to install gwget. Users who are not using wget, use Epiphany (or
some other browser).

Side note: gwget does include an epiphany extension.

Abstaining. jdub summed it up pretty good. Would like to see more python
in the desktop. I feel it could do well being proposed for Platform next
time around.

The next release of Epiphany will include support for extensions written in Python.

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen

==  Europa zonder softwarepatenten! == www.nosoftwarepatents.com ==