Re: Proposed Modules, My Take

J�lleter wrote:
On Son, 2005-01-16 at 17:34 -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:

I have to admit I'm a little mystified by this "merge the ripper and the
player UI" trend - I see that they involve the same implementation
backend, but I don't see how the user tasks are related.

I never play CDs, I only rip. But even for people who do both, I can't
imagine they see them as the same task or typically want to do them at
the same time.

Are we glomming the UI together just because it's the same backend?

Can't we look at the program as "the window representing my audio cd"? I
can open and copy files within the same nautilus folder window even
though I often do only one of those tasks at a given time.

Besides that I can imagine that people, who do not rip all tracks at
once, may want to listen to some tracks before deciding which ones to
rip.

Yeah, I agree with J�re. Havoc's question (why combine the player and ripper) is a good one, but I think thinking of it the "window representing my audio CD" as J�ggests.

Having tried out Goobox, with already has this implemented, I think the idea stands up. It's good at both ripping and play without sacrificing much. It's one less app to maintain - one less menu item to have in the "Sound & Video" menu category, and one less new interface to learn.

Steven Garrity