Re: Remove GnomeMeeting from Gnome module list?

Hi Murray,

Today at 11:46, Murray Cumming wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 10:33 +0100, Danilo Šegan wrote:
> > I still don't know _how_ does it benefit (so I still don't see a
>> reason for it being in the cycle)?
>
> Translation, documentation, UI review, testing, bug-triaging,
> integration, marketing, etc. Because those people work on the modules on
> the list.

Yes, they do, but are UI changes allowed between 1.2.0 and 1.2.1?  How
does 1.2.* integrate with features that came only 1 month after (1.2.0
was released a couple of weeks before the feature freeze), without
breaking feature freeze itself?

All of these teams would have to work outside their schedule (i.e. UI
review would have to be taken as soon as new Gnome release cycle
starts, testing and bug-triaging would be more useful early in Gnome
release cycle [for stable module releases, instead of late in the
cycle for stable Gnome release], etc.), because a module is working
outside Gnome schedule.

So, I think this is harmful for those subteams.  You seem to disagree,
and we're pretty much done with that.

If, otoh, UI, feature and string changes are allowed between 1.2.0 and
1.2.1, why not simply release them as 1.1.0, 1.1.1, and wait for Gnome
release to come out with 1.2.0?

If we only think of how a certain module benefits, then why not add
all the other programs to the module list?  I.e. lets add Gimp,
Gossip, Gnumeric, Rhythmbox, Straw, you name it (there're around 200
modules with translatable content in Gnome CVS, and probably many more
without translatable content).  They'll all benefit the same way
(translation, documentation, UI review, marketing, integration,
testing).  But they'll lose something too (independency), and they'll
have to cope with that. IMHO, at least.

Cheers,
Danilo