Re: Proposed Modules, My Take

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:11:36 -0500, Sean Middleditch
<elanthis awesomeplay com> wrote:

> My questions:
>  1) Do the Bindings follow the same rules as the Platform or not?

<snip>

> As I'm seeing things, the answers are:
>  1) Yes, according to the Bindings page on the gnome.org site, Bindings
> must keep a stable API/ABI just like the Platform, unless they are
> marked BETA, which PyGTK is not.

Both have rules for API/ABI stability, but they are different rules.
See http://developer.gnome.org/dotplan/ and note that there are
different links for the rules for each.

> Either the incompatibility needs to be fixed/worked-around (as simple as
> just _recommending_ a Python version!) or PyGTK needs to be kept out of

I don't consider myself knowledgeable enough about all the issues
(I've tried to only comment on the few things that I do know about),
but from what I can see officially recommending a certain version of
Python to go with each Gnome Bindings release sounds like it wouldn't
hurt and could potentially help a lot.

Elijah