Re: Proposed Modules, My Take

On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 14:16 +0000, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
>   Sorry I missed the thread when it was 'hot' and I know everyone is
> tired sick of it :), but allow me to present my point of view.

> > > 	So, I'm using pygtk for the first time at the moment and I have to
> > > admit that this whole conversation is just a bit bewildering to me...
> > >
> > > 	You want me to put
> > >
> > >   #!/usr/bin/python2.3
> > >
> > > 	in my scripts rather than
> > >
> > >   #!/usr/bin/env python
> >
> > No, I think you are meant to do
> > #!/usr/bin/env python2.3
> > though I'm not quite sure what that does.
> >
> > The pygtk developers created this example to make it easier:
> > http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/gnome-python/pygnome-hello/
> > I think this is what it achieves.
>
>   OK.  I agree with Murray and disagree (sorry) with Johan Dahlin and
> James Henstridge here.  Applications startup scripts should specify the
> python version in the #! line.
>
>   _However_, the pygnome-hello example is lacking in one respect.  It
> only looks for a single Python ABI version, but it should potentially
> look for more than one version.  I hope to fix that sometime.

  I fixed this last night.  After a couple of hours (!) playing with M4,
I came up with an autoconf macro that checks for multiple (ABI, version)
pairs, so now pygnome-hello, as an example, checks for python2.4 >=
2.4.0 or python2.3 >= 2.3.5 (not yet released).

  Regards.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic.