Re: recent documents & desktop

ons 2005-01-26 klockan 20:42 +0000 skrev Nuno Donato:
> Hi there
>
> I had a very simple but IMHO pratical idea for some improvements (and
> innovations) on the desktop.
> i dont know about all of you, but my home folder usually has some
> folders, which in turn have lots of subfolders and so on..... i do
> this to make this the most organized possible. The downside of it, is
> that sometimes i have to navigate deeply into the hierarchy to get
> where i want.. unless i make some shortcut of course.
>
> With time, i got this habit of when i'm working on something, be it a
> single document or a project with many files inside a folder, i
> usually put it on the desktop so that i have quick access. As soon as
> i finish my work, I copy the file/folder back to someplace in the deep
> hierarchy (or remove the shortcut).
> So i just had this idea, how is it possible to work with the Recent
> Documents and the Desktop? Like, displaying the contents of Recent
> Documents as shortcuts in the desktop also.
>
> Unfortunately, Recent Documents only supports...well.. documents. But
> what about using this idea to create a different kind of "Recent
> Documents" which can be configured just to "catch" what we want, lets
> suppose, text files, images, compressed files, and source files.
> And we could also be given more advanced options(ok, put it in gconf)
> to set how much time a file should stay if its not used... and things
> like that.
>
> looking forward to 2.10 :-)
> cheers

Its perhaps not what you ask for, but the change in the gnome menu has
sort of a solution to problems like this. If i remember correctly gnome
2.10 will use the same menu as ubuntu unstable. That is [Program]
[Places] [Desktop], where the [Places] menu, among other things,
contains a submenu for the gtk fileselectors bookmarks.
English is not my first language and perhaps I have explained it wrong,
but, as I know it (and use it in Ubuntu unstable), you can put a
bookmark for example /home/user/Documents/School/Essays/. That way the
folder with essays are easy to get from the menu. I dont think it works
for documents, only folders. But atleast it will save you some clicks in
the filebrowser.