Re: gtk 2.8 for gnome 2.12

On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 17:17 -0400, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> I would like to propose that adopting Gtk+ 2.8 should happen after each
> module has branched for the 2.12 release which means that applications
> will get another 4-5 months of testing of Gtk+ and Gtk+ 2.8 will get 4-5
> months of testing of APIs that until today have not been adopted by a
> single application.

The GTK+ schedule can be seen at:

 http://www.gtk.org/plan/2.8/

It's not really up for negotiation at this point, since we've been
planning based on that schedule for a long time. So, GTK+-2.8 will be
API frozen and released whether or not GNOME uses it.

You seem to be suggesting that the way we do GTK+ is:

 June: We lock down new features and put a slush freeze on
         the GTK+ APIs.
 July-August-September-October-November: We wait for people
         to test the APIs
 December: We make some more changes based on feedback that people
         given after testing the API
 January-February: We release

Such a long slush-freeze would only work within a very long release
cycle ... 18 months or more. I don't think that would be healthy for
GTK+.

There really aren't a whole lot of new APIs in GTK+-2.8 other than
the addition of Cairo ... while I'm sure there would be some benefit
letting Cairo develop for another 6 months, 12 months, etc, it has
been getting quite a bit of testing in a broad range of applications
already. At some point you just have to stop twiddling the API,
lock it down, ship, and prepare for the next iteration.

Regards,
						Owen