Re: gtk 2.8 for gnome 2.12

Just a quick clarification...

On 7/21/05, Elijah Newren <newren gmail com> wrote:
> On 7/21/05, Miguel de Icaza <miguel ximian com> wrote:
> >
> > How exactly have you been testing Gnome with Gtk 2.7.3 for more than six
> > days, I would love to know what kind of time machine you have.
>
> The original context of that discussion was:
>
> Luis: "Let me rephrase a little: the QA team[1] has been testing gtk 2.7, and
>  while we realize that gtk is deeper in the stack and as a result can
>  cause some deeply hidden and hard-to-debug bugs, at this point we feel
>  that gtk 2.7 is essentially as stable as 2.6 for the end-user, and
>  more importantly, bugs in 2.7 are being fixed quickly and reliably by
>  the gtk team; bugs in 2.6 are not."
>
> Miguel: "For how long has the QA team been running a Gtk 2.7.3 based desktop?
>  And what kinds of tests have been done?  I mean to get an idea of the testing
>  happening in this area that lead to this very strong endorsement.
>  <paragraph>
>  We know that the testing at most has been running for six days."

Sorry, the next paragraph was probably important too:

Miguel: "It is pretty bold to state that six days (max) of testing has
produced a
 Gtk 2.7 that is as stable as 2.6;   Lets not forget that after 2.6.0 was
 released, bug fixes were applied for six months after that."

So it seems ambiguous to me as to whether the second paragraph was
referring to gtk 2.7.3 or to gtk 2.7, which was likely part of the
earlier confusion.