Re: Detecting GNOME

Hi Tomasz,

On Sat, 2005-07-23 at 21:22 +0200, Tomasz Melcer wrote:
> Hello!
>   Is there a simple way to check if GNOME manages an X display? I have
[...]
>   The app is written in python. Actually I only want to run GNOME
> browser/mailer if user runs GNOME and predefined apps if he doesn't.

I've seen several debates on how to detect GNOME or its version, but I
don't remember seeing any conclusive answer.  For what you need, though,
I believe a good approach would be to check if the user has a gconfd
running (not much of GNOME would be usable otherwise), and if so, see if
there's a /desktop/gnome/applications/browser key present.  I'd expect
this to be effective in must, if not all, cases.

best
Zoran