Re: cleaning up themes

On Sat, 2005-07-30 at 21:52 +0100, Thomas Wood wrote:
> Packaging engines has been one of the sticking points for distributing
> GTK+ themes. However, a simple check for the existence of a library
> could notify the user if a theme being installed will not work because a
> theme engine is not present. While not ideal, we certainly don't want to
> start trying to distribute binaries. However, a proper packaging system
> needs to be designed in order to accommodate this.

Proper packaging systems have been designed to accomodate this. It just
happens that everyone uses their favorite one, in their own special
ways. Yet another packaging format to deal with on a single distribution
is even further from an ideal situation, I think. If anything, it is
probably better to work toward getting rid of the need for binary
engines, to change more fundamental properties of widgets.

-- dobey