Re: ggv/gpdf and evince

On 6/10/05, Kristian Høgsberg <krh redhat com> wrote:
> > Please note that I think we should include evince in GNOME, replacing
> > gpdf and ggv. I'm only saying that maybe is better disable by now
> > poppler's cairo backend: this will produce sometimes a less sexy
> > rendering, but it's fast and with no faults.
>
> As Marco points out, we have the possibility to bail out and re-enable
> the splash backend at any time, should we decide that the cairo backend
> is not ready.  In the meantime, I'd like to enable the cairo backend by
> default so it gets a lot of testing.  People are already using poppler
> with cairo and logging bugs about slow PDFs or incorrect rendering, and
> the current cvs head has improved much based on those reports already.
> I'd love to see more of this so we can close the gap between the cairo
> backend and the splash backend and hopefully make cairo itself faster in
> the process.

With my testing hat on, I couldn't agree more. :) I assume you mean
make it the default in the next evince release? Or would you like
someone to add configure arguments to the jhbuild moduleset?

BTW, Nagappan- does LDTP have any timed testing capabilities so it can
be used for performance testing? Seems like evince and some of the
other things switching to cairo would be a great target for that if
LDTP has the capability.

Luis