Re: ANNOUNCE: Deskbar Applet 0.3 (keybindings)

Alex Graveley wrote:
> I think it is a bad idea to make the global keybinding more
> accessible to apps... really there should be a central API that
> integrates with GConf to store keys sequences and command actions
> which integrates with gnome-keybinding-properties (which has a
> static action list today). This would avoid global keybinding
> conflicts and allow altering them in a single place.

I was thinking... metacity already allows binding a key combo to
an arbitrary command.  It's not exposed as a GUI (yet...?), but you
can do it through gconf keys.

As a hack, I could piggy-back on metacity's global keybinding
behavior, and the triggered command could be a little script to
raise a D-Bus signal.  My applet would respond by requesting focus.

Having said that, I haven't looked at D-Bus and its API at all.  Is
this feasible?  Is D-Bus the most appropriate way?

Should this be rolled into gnome-keybinding-properties in general
(i.e., have a "raise signal %s" or even a plain "arbitrary command"
as a bindable Action)?

thanks,
Nigel.