RE: Some thoughts about window management

Hello,

Actually, I like your proposition 2 somewhat. I agree that the notification area is used for programs that shouldn't be using it (that don't notify the user), and that there should be a way to get rid of the open applications, while they are still accessible to the user. But i wouldn't create another panel applet. Instead, it can be done by adding a way to shrink buttons to the icon only. I created a small image here [1].  That way, users can "almost" get rid of an application, why it can still be accessed with a single click, but now, in a place where it should be used (the window list) instead of a location where it shouldn't be used (notification area).

Michaël

[1] http://users.skynet.be/maycosplace/gnome.png