Re: Some thoughts about window management

Its highly unlikely this feature would ever be removed from metacity,
since as far as I know it works and we get no complaints about it.  What
I could see is removing the UI for configuring from the "Windows"
control panel applet.

Though, frankly, I think that whole control panel applet could be
completely removed.

The fact that its still in the taskbar menu is really a bug.  A while
ago, we made a change to the metacity window menu but apparently forgot
to sync that to the libwnck window menu, which unfortunately are created
by totally separate processes.

Several versions ago we made the change to the default behavior of
double clicking the titlebar from roll up to maximize, and later made a
change to replace "Roll Up" in the window menu with "On Top", which was
an oft-requested feature which we didn't want to put in for fear of menu
bloat.

Hard-core old-skool Mac OS users will use roll up.  No windows users
will use it.  Its existence really is a response to the anemic ability
to easily switch windows that was present in historic Mac OS versions
prior to its conversion from "pathetic toy" to "gold standard", and its
an organizational paradigm largely irrelevant now given the new style of
window switching now present in all major modern user interfaces.

As for evolution, you might perhaps want to propose that they make the
non-modal preferences dialog not set the main window as a transient
parent, so that it won't be kept stacked above it.  But most likely for
most people treating the preferences dialog as transient is the right
approach.

-Rob