Re: help in fullscreen mode of application

On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 19:02 +0530, Manikandan Thangavelu wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> I developed a java window application which will run in full screen
> mode (I will size the window based on the screen coordinates).
>
> When I tested it in Linux for GNOME, it did open in full screen mode
> but when some other dialog pops up from my application the
>
> Panel which was in the background previously, becomes visible and my
> application is no longer in full screen mode. In case of KDE it
>
> Is working fine, the panel doesn’t come in front when some dialog pops
> from my main window. What is happening in the
>
> Background in gnome in this case. My guess is when the main window
> (full screen mode) has the focus it will hide the panel and
>
> When the dialog comes in front and since it is not full screen the
> panel appears. Could you please help me in getting a better light on
> this?

  I don't know how to do this in Java, but you should set the
"fullscreen" hint in your window.
  In gtk+, you do:

http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gdk/gdk-Windows.html#gdk-window-fullscreen

  So my suggestion is, get a decent toolkit ;-)

  Alternatively, you have to use the window manager specification to
change the state of the window, see:
http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/1.3/ar01s05.html#id2523638

PS: there are gtk+ bindings for java...

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic.