Re: [PROPOSAL] 'Change Password GUI'

Trent Lloyd wrote:

On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 14:05 +1200, Matthew Thomas wrote:

Trent Lloyd wrote:
I think this is stupid, this interface is an *admin* interface, you
can't expect users to go in to some admin tool,

Then the right way to fix it is to stop categorizing it as solely an "admin tool", not to provide redundant interfaces for the same task. See the introduction to <http://live.gnome.org/PreferencesRevisited>.

But if I open a tool for me, I see stuff about me
If I open a tool for administration, i expect to see an information
overview,

Then the right way to fix it is to stop categorizing it as solely a "tool for administration", not to provide redundant interfaces for the same task. See the introduction to <http://live.gnome.org/PreferencesRevisited>.

(Hey! There's an echo in here!)

if by getting the default "me", then I have to navigate to yet
another position in the program which is anti-productive and makes it no
different to having a separate tool, other than the fact its now
"slower" to get there.

Hmmmm. Effort to see someone else's info in Users and Groups currently: possible scrolling, then two clicks. Effort to see someone else's info in my suggested design: possible scrolling, then one click.

Ah, I see my mistake now. One click is slower than two clicks, so my suggestion would be slower than the current design. Also, I seem to have wandered into the wrong universe. Sorry for the intrusion. :-)

Cheers
--
Matthew "and I don't even have my towel" Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/