Re: Three Point Zero - Idea Mockups

On Thu, 26 May 2005 4:23pm, Havoc Pennington wrote:
On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 21:52 +0200, BJörn Lindqvist wrote:
 But still, wasn't gnome 2 more or less a rewrite of gnome 1?

Yes, GNOME 1 to GNOME 2 is in many ways exactly what I'd want to
avoid. ;-) We salvaged it and got some user value out of it, but it was
more despite the way we went about it than because of the way we went
about it.

We hardly even got user value out of it at that. Gnome 2.0 was, from a user perspective, essentially Gnome 1.4 with more bugs and nicer font rendering.

Only later, in Gnome 2.2, 2.4 and 2.6, did we see a rennaisance in user improvements. I have heard these attritbuted in the past to the platform improvements introduced in 2.0, but I find only weak evidence for that (i.e. it looks to me like most of the 2.2-2.6 improvements could have been implemented atop 1.4 with only marginally more effort).

The reason things improved in 2.2,4&6 is simpler than all that: they improved because several hackers focused on improving the software in practical ways people cared about instead of dicking around with abstract platform issues.

-Seth