Re: Proposing gobby?

Qua, 2005-11-16 às 09:24 -0500, Eric Larson escreveu:
> On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 12:17 +0000, jonobacon gmail com wrote:
> > >
> > > Agreed: whilst I'd like to use Gobby, the fact that the data is sent in
> > > plain-text isn't good.  Some way of authenticating the servers/peers are
> > > who they say they are (think ssh host key fingerprints), and encrypted
> > > transport streams would be required before I'd use it for work.
> >
> > It seems to me that a collaborative editing feature in GNOME would be
> > a really killer feature, but it should really happen in the
> > applications that we all know and love. I would much prefer to use a
> > GEdit, Abiword and ultimately OOo plugin to do this. What Gobby could
> > offer is a library to handle this and a standard UI for establishing
> > and maintaining connections. This would sacrifice Gobby for inclusion,
> > but open the possibility for a general GNOME feature - Live
> > Collaboration.
>
> It seems that the Gobby developers should provide a better idea
> regarding the intended use cases for Gobby. The argument that one would
> rather edit in something like GEdit may not really address the purpose
> of Gobby. Following the same logic, this potentially makes the lack of
> security features more understandable as well. I say this because one
> tool that addresses a specific collaboration need is better than forcing
> users to understand applications like Abiword, X-Chat and GEdit out of
> their original scope.
>
> To put this another way, why sacrifice the usability of something like
> Abiword or GEdit to support a corner case when Gobby can handle it more
> gracefully. This is the same for security concerns. Why force Gobby to
> deal with security when it may never really be needed. When it was used
> at GNOME summit, I don't believe that anyone would have any problems if
> someone was listening in on collaboration. This may be the primary use
> case (collaboration under a locally controlled network) they may merely
> need to be emphasized.

  Yes, I totally agree the security is sufficient for a local controlled
network.  OTOH, the software doesn't warn about potential security
vulnerability when running over a WAN.

  I can picture this already (IM conversation):

<joe> hey, we need to finish that lab report from the last class..
<andy> it's raining a lot... I'd rather stay at home... :|
<joe> hey, I have an idea, let's use gobby and work this online
<andy> great idea!.. here, connect to 194.117.99.11 port 12345
<andy> pass phrase 'secret'
<joe> ok, i'm in! let's do this, then!
[... half an hour later ...]
<andy> WTF are you doing, you're deleting all our work!
<joe> I'm not doing anything, I swear!
<andy> sh*t, what's all this garbage? I've been hacked! :-/
<joe> crappy GNOME software, doesn't even have decent security :|

  You get the picture... :)

  This happens because the home user doesn't have any feeling for the
limitations of the security of the protocol.  Sure, the security can be
adequate in some cases, but the end user doesn't know which cases, and
just uses it even when not secure.

  Regards.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic.