Re: Proposing gobby?

On Nov 18, 2005, at 17:11, Pat Suwalski wrote:
Philipp Kern wrote:
Please call them "text editors". By the way: We use Gobby most of the
time as plain-text editor in school, not for programming. (Yes it rocks
to take notes on classes collaboratively.)
That is, frankly, the very best use case for gobby I've heard. Do you
find that your notes are more cohesive and much fuller than a single
person writing them?

Indeed. However, there are some different settings in which Gobby is used. Sometimes one tries to get down all the notes from the blackboard into the document, the other listening while writing down the key points. Some other time we just have to replicate all items from the projector, which is something that scales very nicely. It goes x times faster with x persons contributing. The third use case is to summarise the teacher's monologue together with the capabilities of two persons.

So we use Gobby to write down all the content of the lessons and later again to create a summary about all the stuff we have to learn for the examinations. As we are allowed to use laptops since one and a half years the first is done in the normal room over WLAN, but it could also be used in computer rooms to collaboratively work on preparing topics, while having two independent computers to crawl the internet. The summarising is then done over the internet while being at home.

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern

P.S.: This was one of the reasons we created it (apart of pair programming), and it's just feasible because all three of the developers are in the same class at school.