Re: Pango performance work for Gnome 2.14

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005, Christian Neumair wrote:

> > I know that we are a bit late (with 2.13.2 already behind us), but I
> > have done a GLib 2.9.0 release today [1], and Behdad will follow with a
> > Pango 1.11.0 release as soon as possible.
>
> Couldn't these changes be backported to the stable branch instead of
> squeezing two minor releases into the timeline meant for one minor
> release?

Most of the optimization work can be backported to stable, but
they are too much change to be applied to "stable" that doesn't
fix any "bug".

But another reason for getting a glib and pango release is
because of the Unicode 4.1 data tables in glib, that cannot go
into stable.

BTW, we are not squeezing two minors into the timeline for one.
Gtk+, Glib, and Pango have been making 6-month releases like the
rests of GNOME.  This time the Gtk+ team decided to go for a
longer cycle, skipping GNOME 2.14.  Now we've decided that
there's no reason to change Pango and Glib's schedule, they are
ready to go with the regular 6-month.

--behdad
http://behdad.org/

	-- Dan Bern, "New American Language"