Re: Denoting Remote Machines (Re: Custom Icons for GNOME Terminal Profiles)

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005, Davyd Madeley wrote:

> Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 11:47:45 +0800
> From: Davyd Madeley <davyd madeley id au>
> To: desktop-devel-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: Denoting Remote Machines (Re: Custom Icons for GNOME
>     Terminal Profiles)
>
> On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 19:41 +0000, Alan Horkan wrote:
>
> > > Unrelated, but this has reminded me of a feature I saw recently in
> > > KWin.
> > >
> > > Remote X clients running on your X server are marked with an
> > > @hostname in the title.
> >
> > That information can also be shown by configuring your command line
> > prompt.
> >
> > Might be easier to allow the terminal to use whatever you have set as your
> > prompt as the window title, as it might provide a relatively easy way to
> > tap into a lot of existing infrastructure without further complicating
> > things.
>
> I'm not quite sure what you mean here.

Sorry

> You can set the title of an xterm or gnome-terminal by sending the magic
> escape sequence, many distributions have this in their bashrc files and
> what have you.

You can set the window title to a fixed value (as far as I can tell it is
fixed)

As I'm sure you know one can set the command prompt to show

username host /path/directory/ ~

and presumably one can configure the command prompt to show all kinds of
other variables and other useful information which is kept up to date even
if you change directories or log into other (similarly configured) hosts.
(On the network I am using this is already provided and I do always know
what host I'm currently logged in to.)

I was trying to suggest Gnome terminal be changed to allow whatever values
are supposed to be shown in the prompt to also be shown in the window
title.  (As opposed to adding lots of specific options for what is shown
in the window title, let the window title show the information which can
be presented by an already very flexible system.)

The title of the Gnome terminal can already be changed dynamically but I
am suggesting it be changed in a way that doesn't require adding lots of
new configuration options (but does allow you to leverage all the old
configution options for the prompt and have them shown in the title bar
too.)

I hope that makes it a little clearer what I meant.

--
Alan H.