More general patch notification? [Was: Re: gnome-utils patch]

On 10/6/05, Colin Walters <walters verbum org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 00:50 +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
>
> > Maybe we want a desktop-devel-patches@ list?
>
> Regardless of where the canonical place to store patches is (mailing
> list archive or Bugzilla), I think it is valuable to make it easy for
> groups of interested people to review incoming patches, even if they're
> not the official maintainer of the module or are actively tracking
> Bugzilla for that module.  More eyes spot problems more easily.
>
> Probably just need a Bugzilla hack where if a patch is attached to a bug
> (or an existing one is updated) it gets autosent to some mailing list.
> Digging about it's kind of like this:
> http://bugzilla.gnome.org/reports/patch-diligence-report.cgi
>
> Except we want to make it push instead of pull so to speak =)
>
> And we'd probably want to restrict it to modules in the official core so
> as to not drown in the noise; also people interested in other modules
> can just watch that module's bugs anyways.

Could you clarify some?  I'm hoping to find some time to work on patch
stuff in bugzilla in the coming months (if Olav doesn't beat me to
it--he's getting all kinds of bugzilla stuff done right now) and some
kind of auto-notification/reminder was already on my list; it'd make
sense to tackle something like this at the same time if I can.  So, a
few questions, for you and others that might be interested:

What kind of information is wanted?  Is it just a sheer number of
unreviewed patches and a percentage compared to total as found in the
patch-diligence-report you linked to?  Would it be more along the
lines of short patch descriptions?  Are corresponding bug #s (links?)
w/ priority, severity, product, or component wanted?  An updated
report sent out every N days with new patches, or emails sent out the
very instant a patch is attached (the former is easier, as we already
have the infrastructure for it; see
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/reports/patch-report.cgi?product=metacity&max_days=7
for which we also have a little front end at
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/reports/patch-status.cgi).

How is the information wanted?  A mailing list?  An RSS feed (The
former shouldn't be too hard to add.  We also have code that does the
latter for something else that could be used here; take a look at bugs
for beginners can be found at
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/reports/keyword-search.cgi?keyword=gnome-love
and the corresponding RSS feed at
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/reports/keyword-search-rss.cgi?keyword=gnome-love)