Re: Keyboard usage on some Gnome windows not working

On 10 Oct 2005, at 18:37, Matthew Thomas wrote:

I think making the distinction more explicit would make the guideline more likely to be followed by developers, and more likely to be understood by non-developers.

Yep, certainly don't disagree that it could do with fixing regardless. (I'm *really* hoping that I'm going to have a chunk of time to devote to the HIG again in a couple of weeks or so... I haven't been able to go near it for months, unfortunately.)

In brief:

      * Dialogs have a close button in their title bars, which makes
        them look unnecessarily similar to windows. (It's also
        ambiguous, because some people assume the close button means
        "Cancel", while others assume it means "Get out of my face",
        and sometimes these are opposites.)

Yep, have always wanted to see that one fixed.

What's hindering it?

Don't know the technical ins and outs, but metacity just doesn't currently support it, and last time I asked about it (admittedly a looong time ago) nobody seemed too keen to try and fix it. Unfortunately it's one of those ones that seems to have slipped between the cracks of the HIG only recommending what's possible, and filing bugs for what we'd like... at least, I can't find a bug about it now. I'll get onto it.

      * GNOME has no standard, easy-to-use shortcut for closing
        non-dialog windows.

True, but does any desktop have one of those?

Yes, Mac OS (all versions) uses Command+W.

Hmm, yes, I suppose it does. (I very rarely find a need for Close on OSX, most times I find it more useful just to Hide or Quit the whole thing.)

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Team