Re: Thoughts on the future of gnome

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 21:21:19 +0200, alan wrote:
> Is it likly that a windows version of gnome (even a basic, light version)
> will be available when vista is released?

Not unless somebody works on it, but as Tor is making great progress with
the platform libraries it's possible other things like Nautilus or
gnome-panel could be ported across too.

Would it be worth it though? While I love GNOME and use it every day, on
its own I suspect it wouldn't prove that compelling to Windows users. When
you join GNOME, Linux, Firefox, some office programs and a ton of other
free software together (we could call it a distribution) then it becomes a
lot more attractive.

I think the real reason you're asking that is that existing Linux distros
are too difficult to install and uninstall, which could certainly be
improved (for instance by letting it install directly to an NTFS
partition) but this is the wrong list to discuss such things.

thanks -mike