Re: do we really need xrdb?

On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 13:41 +0200, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Rodrigo Moya">
>
> > So, do we really want to keep around the xrdb thing in
> > gnome-settings-daemon?
>
> How about an off-by-default GConf key? Lots of workstation deployments I
> know about really benefit from the xrdb stuff (heaps of motif and xforms).

Why do we always assume large-scale workstation deployments
with sysadmins who have time to dig through GConf keys and
set different defaults?

Speaking as somebody employed by a Motif-app-producing ISV,
(but not speaking on behalf of said ISV, blah blah blah),
I'm telling you that all the people out there using Motif
and Tk software aren't doing so because they're ubergeeks
who like to dig through gconf-editor.  These are average
people, the sorts of folks who have to have their children
help them with email.

--
Shaun