Re: Gnome 2.14 Module Proposal: Deskbar Applet

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:57:01 +0100, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
>       - OK, but you'd lose some speed..  you can always compile python
> with configure --without-pymalloc... probably does something similar to
> what you want.

I'm not sure it'd make a big difference speedwise. Could somebody try
rebuiling their python using --without-pymalloc and see if memory usage is
more reasonable?

>   Or:
>      * Rewrite performance-sensitive parts of the deskbar applet in C,
> but keep the rest in python.

That technique works well for CPU-speed limited code, but would probably
make little difference for memory usage unless nearly all was written in
C. Bear in mind the interpreter itself carries quite a large fixed
overhead. But I guess you'd need to do some memory profiling (assuming
there are tools that can profile the python heaps).

>   Work is underway to generate C++ from python code:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/shedskin/

That would be great! It seems the project has stalled slightly though.

thanks -mike