Re: Gnome 2.14 Module Proposal: Deskbar Applet

Le samedi 29 octobre 2005 à 13:54 +0200, Raphael Slinckx a écrit :
> On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 13:32 +0100, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:

> Concerning the if one dies all dies, that won't happen with python,
> since you can always try/catch at the topmost level and remove the dying
> applet easily. Deadlock is another thing, i don't know if applets often
> deadlock..

oh yes it can.

> The way we index the above files is extremely uneffective, basically, we
> read the sentence we want to index, split it around spaces and
> punctuation, the store in a hashtable each (word -> match). I don't
> think you can do something less efficient than that.
>
> What are our other options ?

(**** paste quotation is broken here)

Disk-based cache ? gdbm ? sqlite ?

> Also if we really want to take the road of alt-f2 replacement, we can
> try these things out. If we already know that we won't replace alt-f2
> befor 2.14, we will concentrate on other things before trying to make
> it. What do you think ?

Replacing alt-f2 would make deskbar-applet mandatory. I'm already
annoyed when alt-f2 takes 2s to come because it has been swapped
so ... :)

> How can i know that ? More generally, are there good python
> performance/memory profilers ?

For CPU usage, you have the standard library profiler and the timeit
module. See chapter "Python Profiler" in python2.4-lib. But I never
found any free/libre memory profiler for python.

(A question just crossed my mind about sharing memory between python
processes : then you need to depend on the same python version (= run
the same VM). Which one ? i think python2.3 would be the best candidate.
i know python2.4 is out for a long time, not yet wide spread on distro.
There are also some breakage from 2.3 -> 2.4, so it might not be easy to
run 2.3 apps on 2.4)

--
Je cherche un emploi de développeur / admin sys&réseau sous GNU/Linux
http://fr.lolix.org/search/cv/cv.php3?id=7101