Proposal for inclusion in Desktop: GNOME Power Manager

As requested by several people, I'm formally proposing GNOME Power
Manager for inclusion in GNOME 2.14.

GNOME Power Manager is a session daemon for the GNOME desktop
environment that makes it easy to manage your laptop or desktop system.

Power management is an essential job on portable computers, and becoming
more important on todays high-powered desktops. It uses many complex
(and sometimes experimental) parts of the system - each of which are
slightly different, and may contain errata to work around. It should
however work in the background without even noticed by the user.

GNOME Power Manager uses a modern HAL to abstract out all the platform
specifics [1], which ensures that the desktop parts are kept
lightweight.

Please read the FAQ page [2] for answers to common questions.

There are packages already for ubuntu breezy, ubuntu dapper, suse, arch
linux, fedora core 4 and fedora core rawhide. There is an ebuild for
gentoo based systems too. Ubuntu dapper (correct me if I'm wrong) and
Fedora Core 5 (definitely) will ship with g-p-m installed and running as
default.

I've been committing patches daily, and working with the HAL guys to
sort out the BIOS bugs.

I've also registered this project with open-usability [3].

I've recently moved the website from sourceforge to www.gnome.org, the
new site is here: http://www.gnome.org/projects/gnome-power-manager/

The project has been running for about 8 months now, and is progressing
quickly.

You can see from the SourceForge stats page [4] and the GnomeFiles.org
page [5] that there is considerable interest in the project.

Please review, and tell me what you think.

Richard.

[1] http://www.gnome.org/projects/gnome-power-manager/hal.html
[2] http://www.gnome.org/projects/gnome-power-manager/faq.html
[3] http://openusability.org/projects/gnome-power/