Re: Moving to bonjour over howl

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 22:37 +0800, Davyd Madeley wrote:

> > > I thought the plan was to use Avahi.
>
> Avahi is going to end up much better for us. It integrates with our
> main loop; talks via D-BUS; has bindings in C# and Python (and
> probably other stuff); is LGPL (all of it); and all in all looks
> superior to any existing technology we are using (have a look at the
> existing DNS-SD code in GNOME-VFS).

I'm sure your hot new code is a thousand times nicer than the dns-sd
stuff in GNOME-VFS. However, that code is the way it is for a reason.
Since this code is used by gnome-vfs modules it needs to be threadsafe,
it can't rely on the glib mainloop, and it needs to supply synchronous
operations to match the synchronous gnome-vfs file operations.

Slamming some code and then coming up with a replacement that is not
usable (at least for the same problem) isn't very useful.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an obese gay filmmaker moving from town to town, helping folk in trouble.
She's a violent African-American vampire with her own daytime radio talk show.
They fight crime!