Re: String review

On Mer, 2005-09-21 at 14:06 -0500, Scott J. Harmon wrote:
> Christian Persch wrote:
> > - a database of all (present and past) string in all GNOME modules, and
> > ways to find 'similar' strings to unify
>
> Why not, instead, incorporate these dialogs into a common library?

There are a big range of "Unable to open %s", "Unable to write", "Disk
full", "brain fried" type messages and it would help translators
immensely if these were in a GTK_STOCK form. GTK_STOCK_EXCUSE say

In addition if you know more about the operation, error and environment
you can give intelligent responses to errno codes - something proposed
at OLS 2 or 3 years ago in a more general context (I believe someone had
a library for this)

ie being able to do

	if((f = g_open("foo", "r", GNOME_ERROR_DIALOG)) == NULL)
		exit();

in apps.

For databases - that sort of exists, most translation tools have
databases used for "helpful" matching. Kyfieithu (www.kyfieithu.co.uk)
can also tell you where the helpful suggestion came from in case the
suggestion is mis-spelt.

Alan