Re: Proposal to add Orca to GNOME 2.16

Hi,

The problem I see with Orca in current state for including it in the
Desktop is the zero-integration with Preferences. I mean, how is an
user supposed to launch Orca?. Currently you need to enable a11y using
gnome-at-properties do not enable "Screen Reader", then you need to
launch orca from command-line or Run menu.

So I think we need to agree before a sane way to integrate it with
current AT preferences:

[X] Screen Reader
 ( ) Use generic screen reader (gnopernicus)
 (*) Use per-app customizable screen reader (Orca) [Show supported apps]

Or maybe just move the choice between gnopernicus/orca configuration
inside gnopernicus "Voice" Preferences:

( ) Use gnopernicus internal speech engine
( ) Use external orca speech engine

Also currently orca-setup is a text based configuration tool, we'd
need to allow the user to select voice/language using an UI.

So IMHO I think we should agree a good way to integrate Orca before
the final inclusion in the Desktop. I'd love to see Orca in the next
GNOME release and it this happens it would be great to have too a new
GnomeGoal about having an Orca script for almost every application in
the Desktop.

Salu2