Re: Gnome is a problem for OEMs

Jeff Waugh wrote:
Definitely
look at Sabayon, Pessulus and the System Administration Guide [1].

In another email I explained the problems I had with Sabayon. I'll read the administrator's guide. Thank you for the link.

It would really, really help us if you could document some of the use cases
you have, so that we know the kinds of things you want to do. Some of them
will seem outright obvious of course, but that's okay - they're the hammers
you'll have most fun hitting us with. :-)

Sure. Where do I post the use case? I could summarize the current use case as:

* I installed Skype and a new version of OpenOffice.org on the computer. I want to add panel icons before the end user receives the computer and creates an account. I can't ask the end user to change his pannel himself to use all the features we advertise.

BTW, I'm using Ubuntu Breezy with the "OEM" install. Over all I'm happy with it. It allows me to test the computer and install software before the user creates an account. The idea is that I do all the system configuration and then sell the computer. When the user boots it for the first time he's asked for a user account and password.

If I could add panel icons that would be enough. A good bonus would be to edit the applications menu (add entries for the new version of OpenOffice.org and for Skype). But it's not the end of the world if I can't.

Now I'll go on and read the administrator's guide. I swear I searched for documentation. It's just that all I found was end-user documentation.

Best,
Daniel.
--
     /\/`) http://opendocumentfellowship.org