Re: Gnome 2 infinity and beyond [was Re: Tango and 2.16]

On 4/19/06, Kalle Vahlman <kalle vahlman gmail com> wrote:
> On 4/19/06, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro <gjc inescporto pt> wrote:
> >   Please, don't take the 3.0 version lightly, only as a way to improve
> > GNOME marketing.  The jump to 3.x version is invaluable in helping
> > developers figure out which library versions break API and can be
> > parallel installed, and which versions are simple upgrades that retain
> > old API compatibility.  If we change the GNOME version to 3.0 but don't
> > break the API it is going to be very confusing for developers.
>
> Hey, don't forget the applications. GNOME is more than just an API.
> You guys make it sound like three-point-oh would be all about the
> platform things.

I do not care about 3.0. If there are great ideas, why not do them
during 2.x and at some time perhaps call a 2.x version 3.0.

> GNOME still lacks (good and tightly integrated the GNOME way)
> applications in various day-to-day things like IM. Getting a good set
> of applications should be a goal for 3.0 (in addition to things like
> making the platform legacy-free).

Why is IM so special that we cannot add it during 2.x? There already
is a plan to add office/productivity apps.

Regards,
Olav