Re: Re:Mono bindings a blessed dependency? [Was: Tomboy in 2.16]

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 22:38 +0200, David Neary wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Elijah Newren said:
> > But, a more important question: We currently only allow apps using the
> > python bindings into the desktop.
>
> Is this true, or is it just because no-one's ever asked?

We've had extensive discussions about it on this list. Python is the
only one that almost nobody objects to, and a lot of people would prefer
us not to use too many programming languages in the official Desktop
modules.

But luckily, not everything needs to be in the Desktop. I certainly
wouldn't want to add the political, technical, and strategic baggage for
just a note taking utility.

[snip]

If I was writing something that I intended to become part of the GNOME
Desktop, I'd do it in C or Python. Maybe C++ (already used, without
gtkmm), but I'd know I was making life difficult for people with that. I
hope that the future GNOME Productivity/Office release set is more
relaxed about that, but I won't be offended if Glom doesn't get into
that.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com