Re: Mono bindings a blessed dependency? [Was: Tomboy in 2.16]

Rodrigo Moya wrote:
On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 23:00 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
There are other languages bindings
in our release set, but none of them have been similarly blessed. Assuming Gtk# is added to the bindings set, should it be a language
core apps can use?
That's an interesting question - put another way, should the desktop
depend on the bindings? I certainly wouldn't have a problem with that -
although making GNOME depend on Mono is an issue which would give me
more pause than making it depend on gtkmm.
The desktop already depends on the bindings since we have some python
love in the desktop :-) The question is, do we accept all languages in
the desktop, or just a small selection of what's available in the
bindings (and which selection?).

I think we should allow everything written with a blessed binding,
provided that code is optional (like nautilus+beagle integration, for
instance), so that we don't force 3rd parties to use them if they don't
want to.

Definitely not - that is unmanageable and unfair.

If something is optional it means there are alternatives and one alternative should not block another (as then an inferior alternative could block a vastly superior alternative getting into the desktop as would be the case with beagle and Tracker)

And if you allow all alternatives in you end up with a mess!

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://jamiemcc.livejournal.com/