Re: GNOME Power Manager

On 4/22/06, Davyd Madeley <davyd madeley id au> wrote:
> Remember to consider !Linux. Linux is currently the only HAL-supporting
> platform (yes, others are close, but will they be finished for our
> release timeframe?).

I didn't forget it; I was only responding to the linux-2.4 part of the
thread.  I think the alternative OS side of things has already been
addressed sufficiently[1,2,3,4,5], and given that we have other HAL
dependencies in the desktop, I'm honestly quite surprised that anyone
thinks that this should hold back the inclusion of g-p-m.  In fact, I
really doubt anyone does -- I personally don't see how the argument
makes any sense and I'm guessing that it's merely being used as an
excuse by those who don't like the notification-area thing.  ;-)  And
while I can feel some sympathy for the notification-area thing, no one
is trying to provide any solutions to the reasons why it is being used
and I personally don't see why this should hold back g-p-m's
inclusion.  But, as always, that's just my $0.02 and wild guesses.  :)

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2006-April/msg00393.html
[2] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2006-April/msg00394.html
[3] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2006-April/msg00397.html
[4] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2005-October/msg00397.html