Re: Proposal for Alacarte in 2.16

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006, Travis Watkins wrote:

> Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 21:20:13 -0500
> From: Travis Watkins <alleykat gmail com>
> To: desktop-devel-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: Proposal for Alacarte in 2.16
>
> On 4/22/06, Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie> wrote:
> > Alacarte has a user interface halfway between a dialog and an application.
> > I'd be a lot happier if it used a top toolbar instead a row of buttons at
> > the bottom.  I don't think there is anything specific in the HIG to backup
> > my point here.  Hadn't decided to file a request against Alacarte or not
> > yet but I have been looking at Ubuntu Dappper I was thinking about it.

> Perhaps the attached screenshot looks better? Having a toolbar on top
> makes the application look..top-heavy. Don't know how else to describe
> it.

A toolbar is different from a row of buttons which is what the screenshot
shows.

If you are completely dropping both the menus and the status bar and
presenting Alacarte as a dialog like in that screenshot then having
buttons at the bottom fits in with the standard layout of a dialog and
that would be fine.  My objection was to only to the mix of a dialog and
application layouts, it is up to you which you think is most appropriate.

(Having a full application window with toolbar reminds me of the bookmark
manager in Mozilla which I'm quite comfortable with and has room to add
more things but keeping it all in one small simple dialog would work too.)

--
Alan H.