Re: name change for gnome-volume-manager?

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:

> Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 16:03:51 -0400
> From: Jeffrey Stedfast <fejj novell com>
> To: desktop-devel-list gnome org
> Subject: name change for gnome-volume-manager?
>
> I'd like to change the name of gnome-volume-manager to
> gnome-device-manager.

When it was introduced I pointed out that volume is very often associated
with audio volume[1] and likely to confuse users - I freely admit it
confused me intially - but since it made sense to developers my concerns
were dismissed.  The terminology "device" isn't perfect either but used
consistently I believe it will work out for the best and according to the
bug report and previous discussion volume isn't great for translators [2]
(and reinforces my theory that translators are too polite for their own
good).  Translating and then backtranslating to English can be
illuminating.

I'm very much in favour of this change.  I do not believe anyone can
seriously say the current name is less confusing to ordinary users than
the proposed name.  (The argument that end users shouldn't be actually
exposed to the term volume in the users interface anyway does have some
merit though, and presumably there would be a careful migration including
some kind of symlink to help out techinical users who have memorised the
old name.)

--
Alan H.

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2004-September/msg00024.html