Re: removing non-working things

On Mon, 7 Aug 2006, Ritesh Khadgaray wrote:

> Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 20:57:33 +0530
> From: Ritesh Khadgaray <khadgaray gmail com>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie>
> Cc: Matthias Clasen <mclasen redhat com>, desktop-devel-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: removing non-working things
>
> On Sun, 2006-07-30 at 21:38 +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:
> > On Sun, 30 Jul 2006, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> >
> > > Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 14:47:39 -0400
> > > From: Matthias Clasen <mclasen redhat com>
> > > To: desktop-devel-list gnome org
> > > Subject: removing non-working things
> > >
> > > The gnome-ui-properties capplet contains a "Detachable toolbars"
> > > checkbox, which has three issues:
> > >
> > > a) It only affects BonoboToolbars, not for regular GtkToolbars

> On a side-note
> With gedit 2.8, this feature works ( with the stated bug)
> With gedit 2.17 ( rawhide ) detach toolbar option  has no effect.

Sounds like either a regression or the Gedit developers have given up on
detachable toolbars like so many others.

> > It would be nice if non-working thing could be fixed.

> > Toolbars are admittedly not much use at the moment but they are not beyond
> > hope and could probably still be improved.
> >
> > > So I'd like to propose that we drop this checkbox.
>
> Sounds good. How about a option to hide toolbar itself ?
> I rarely use them, and rely on keyboard shortcuts for most parts.
> ( ps : i hate using mouse , or it could be just me )
>
> The only place where i use them is, Openoffice.

I do not believe these toolbars were ever intended for you.
The are intended to be big and obvious ways to access commonly used
functionality using the mouse.  A beginner is more likely to immediately
see these options and use them, whereas advanced users could learn the
keyboard shortcuts and do without the toolbars, or ideally customize to
the toolbars to show items more relevant to them.

> With windows, i found explorer style toolbar friendlier.
> All toolbar buttons are in grayscale,
> and coloured+highlighted when cursor is place over them
> greyed out toolbar options have outline of icon ( sort of chrome looks )

I find that to be a rather strange system and rather a waste of colour
icons which makes it harder to quickly identify things.  I'd be
mildly surprised if no one has implemented a theme to do things the
way you are used to from Microsoft, let us know if you find such a theme.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org
Open Clip Art http://OpenClipArt.org