Re: RFC GnomeGoal #3

On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 16:18 -0400, Germán Poó Caamaño wrote:
> Because the key is not used anymore, or there was a typo in the previous
> version, or the application got merged into another one, the keys were
> sorted out different for any reason, etc.
>
> I still have net-rhythmbox while I have rhythmbox, I also have
> gnome_screenshot while I have gnome-screenshot, or /GNOME/Spell while
> sometimes it will have /dektop/gnome/spell, or even I don't use the
> spell anymore.
>
> Those files are read and the keys are stored in memory while they are
> useless.
>
> The settings are getting bigger each time there is some kind of keys
> reorganization.  The same sickness of Window's registry (even if I
> dislike the comparison).

A small plus point on GConf is that any prefs installed via schemas
(i.e. default values) and not overridden by local settings are magically
removed when the schemas are unregistered.

This doesn't help the case of your old net-rhythbox settings, but it's
something.

Ross
                                          jabber: ross burtonini com
                                     www: http://www.burtonini.com./