Re: New panel layout for GNOME 2.18?

From: Alex Jones <alex weej com>
To: desktop-devel-list gnome org
Subject: Re: New panel layout for GNOME 2.18?
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 21:01:58 +0100

This kind of testing annoys me a bit. I'm sure any user who becomes
naturally used to GNOME would be "confused" by Mac OS or Windows layout.

I'm not saying it's perfect, but I don't feel the need to mimic the
style of another desktop for the sake of transitioning users' comfort.

I completely agree with you. I wasn't saying the default layout should be changed to ease the transitioning of switchers, I just think that would be an added benefit; one that, if we can have, would be great to have. The most important, IMO, is that it could mean the major GNOME distributors would start using the same basic interface.

I think Novell's layout has many pros (and also a few cons) compared to the current layout. And I'm not a recent switcher, I've been using GNOME for years, and Window Maker before that. I won't go into technical details about the usability of both layouts because GNOME has people much more skilled than me to do that, the people that designed Slab for example. :)

Have there ever been any unbiased usability studies involving people who
have never actually used a computer? I'm thinking young children as well
as your grandmas and grandpas.

I don't think an usability test has ever been done with the current layout. At least I never heard of one.

Seja um dos primeiros a testar o novo Windows Live Mail Beta- grátis. Acesse http://www.ideas.live.com/programpage.aspx?versionId=5d21c51a-b161-4314-9b0e-4911fb2b2e6d