Re: GNOME git repositories?

2006/12/29, Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie>:

I hope I'm not the only one to ever submit a few small patches to KDE but
for tasks like documentation and translation I think we would be very
lucky to have people who help us and KDE too, and using Subversion does
have the advantage of being the most mainstream and popular for now.

The difference in syntax may be small for developers, especially
developers who have used more than one version control system but the
difference in syntax is more than enough to trip up hardcoded software,
infrequent developers, or other contributors who really don't enjoy using
the command line.

In fact, now, a lot of people from the windows world can just  use a simple tool like TortoiseSVN or Subclipse (SVN for eclipse) to create patches or download the trunk versions without using the commandline. git for example don't even has an usable version on the windows commandline (the cygwin version is really slow).

I hope this move will come as an opportunity for application developer to
abstract out their Revision Control System and make it easier for any
future upgrades to happen without bothering end users as much as this
change will.

I've read descriptions claiming Subversion uses practically identical
syntax to CVS.  Unfortunately practically identical means different,
different enough to break scripts and third party software, and confuse
infrequent contributors.

> In any case, let's just do it.  SVN isn't a bad solution even if I
> think it's anachronistic. :-)  It's a mature VCS and maybe that's
> what we need.  Sometimes we just need to disagree and commit. :-)

I really hope this migration to SVN is successful, and I appreciate the
perseverence of sysadmin team after the other attempts and all the
naysayers (none of whom have volunteered to help the sysadmins but I
suspect many of the same people would cry for patches if criticised in the
same way).  When the migration is complete then we can give a kick in the
pants to any project which doesn't offer a good migration path from
Subversion, preferably with even less breakage and forced relearning for
the most basic features.

I agree here, the huge work of sysadmins is reason enough to be careful on what we say and how we say it, I don't think start talking  about SVN not being good in the middle of the migration progress is a good way to express our gratitude to them.

Kudos for the sysadmin team!

--
Alan H.