Re: Plan to fix icons [was: Re: breakage caused by removed icons from gnome-icon-theme]

On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 13:36 -0600, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:

> 6. Create a subpackage of symlinks from the missing icons (the old icon
> names) to the new icons.  If you don't have a new icon that matches,
> find the closest generic one, or simply put in the old icon image with a
> marker to indicate that it needs to be replaced.  See this nice
> technique:  http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/archive/2006/01/10/511202.aspx

To clarify this:  the point above is to make it easy to find cases where
we *do* have an old-style icon name and image, *and* a way to map it to
a new-style name, but we *don't* have a Tango-ified image to go with the
name.

We can obviously not ship with the big yellow markers ;)

I don't know how the themes inherit from each other these days, but my
Tangoified 2.12 desktop shows a mixture of Tango icons and old-style
icons, and it doesn't look bad.

For 2.14, we do need a way to fall back to the old icon images, which
are already drawn, if Tango doesn't yet have an image for a certain icon
name.  So we need the symlinks or something.  We can then instantly
deprecate the old icon names, but still make sure that they'll produce
an icon image that is usable.

  Federico