Re: control-center 2.13.90 released

On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 16:16 -0500, Pat Suwalski wrote:
> Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > 2) We also want the icons back
>
> Yes, this is definitely still a big issue. Unlike the instant-apply
> behaviour, this particular change was never explained in detail.

1) GtkOptionMenu is deprecated.
2) GtkComboBox makes it very difficult to add icons to the drop-down.
3) The icons were a total hack anyway, and broke a11y functionality
4) We have too many icons in use in the desktop, and so I, as well as
   the artists who maintain the icons, want to reduce that number
5) To help separate the controls within the dialog for managing the
   wallpapers and properties on them, and the buttons for the dialog

This is also a problem that we've seen a lot of in the file chooser
dialog in testing as well. Users will often click the "Add" button
on the left, under the bookmarks list, because they want to "add"
a wallpaper or attachment to a mail, or whatever. So, I removed the
icons from the Add/Remove buttons to help with this as well, although
I can't do it in the file chooser itself. Some users would also try
to click the "Add Wallpaper" button, in an attempt to set the wallpaper,
as they don't expect it to change immediately when selected, and do not
know that the close button won't revert their selection.

-- dobey