Re: Alt Mouse Modifier (Was: Adaptive mode)

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 21:17 +0000, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 00:48 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:
> > Just a me-too on how unfortunate the Alt modifier
> > thing for window moving is.  I know of at least
> > one major piece of third-party software that uses
> > Alt as a modifier for certain mouse operations,
> > and it's been doing so since long before Gnome
> > stole it for window movement.
>
> WTF? That wonderful feature worked on some window managers even before
> there was as "Super" Windows key on keyboards.
>
> Before there was GNOME, even...

You mean back when there was a Meta key on Sun keyboards?

All the window managers and desktops and toolkits steal
keys, and they don't all steal the same ones.  The fact
is, ISDs have a hell of a time dealing with modifier keys
in applications that are supposed to run on five different
desktops over seven different operating systems using four
different keyboard layouts in the US alone.

I know at least one major piece of third-party software
that actually ends up using NumLock to modify certain
behaviors.  Not because some usability group sat down
and decided "Hey, NumLock would be cool!"  But just
because NumLock happens to get mapped to Mod2.

If you need anything more than Ctrl+<letter> in your
application, you're pretty much screwed.

I envy Apple.

--
Shaun