Re: NLD10 and GNOME

On 2/7/06, Dan Winship <danw novell com> wrote:
> So to sum up: design by committee is bad, endless debates that result in
> code not actually being written are bad, design by very small teams is
> good, software with a unified vision is good, trying out cool new UI
> ideas is good, free code at least doesn't suck, and of course, for
> Novell, not shipping NLD10 is bad.

Totally agree, all those guys whining about developing out of alpha
stage "behind closed doors" are just jealous about others doing cool
stuff ;)

Many projects could be more stable if only they hadn't been torn to
pieces by indecision in the community. Or left rotting because talk of
changes lead nowhere.

Talk is cheap but if nobody codes, nothing happens.

This has been discussed many times recently, but discussions that
start with "hey, I wrote a patch to..." instead of with "hey, I just
thought that..." will have a significantly better chance to actually
have an effect. This is very visible in the usability list for
example, since discussions there involve more non-coders than here for
example. There's loads and loads of suggestions which might be good
but nobody knows because nobody implemented it.

Which is a shame.

--
Kalle Vahlman, zuh iki fi