Re: Design by Community

Rodrigo Moya wrote:
On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 12:57 +0800, Davyd Madeley wrote:
This course of action will create a time when GNOME goes the way of
propriortary UNIX: Tru64, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, IRIX... imagine a
world with Novell Desktop, Topaz, Java Desktop, the Hatrack Environment:
all competing products... where is GNOME?

not if the changes are not kept proprietary and sent upstream sooner or
later.

perhaps but the real question is why isn't this a branch in CVS? Why is there a need for clandestine development?

Take Nautius-search as an example, Novell did this right by having a branch which the maintainers could see, change and adapt. The result was a hugely successful merge.

Also Davyd is right to a point - remember how NT swept aside Unix because they would not unite?

Lets not repeat history - united we stand (and succeed), divided we fall!

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://www.advogato.org/person/jamiemcc/