Re: gnome-screensaver

Hi Vincent,

Vincent Untz wrote:
Le mercredi 15 f�ier 2006 �1:45 -0600, Shaun McCance a �it :

On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 12:54 +0800, Davyd Madeley wrote:

Quoting David Zeuthen <david fubar dk>:

This was moved to gnome-power-manager by Jon, as monitor DPMS control
was considered more of a "power" thing than "screensaver" thing. You can
configure monitor power down settings using gnome-power-preferences.

[...]

I see two solutions to this:
(1) solve the regression; or
(2) punt gnome-screensaver until gnome-power-manager can also be included

I personally think that (1) is the correct solution here, mostly because I think
that monitor sleep time should be in the same dialog as screensaver settings.

Jon, do you have any opinion on this/plans for this?

Moving DPMS to gnome-power-manager was a decision that was discussed on both the screensaver and power-manager lists over a month ago and was decided based on its merit by a consensus.

In the past month or so there have been a number of long threads on this list discussing issues with gnome-power-manager and gnome-screensaver. These discussions have included ideas of widely varied validity. We've kindly asked that people submit bugs for these ideas. Some have done so and these have essentially all been dealt with.

It was then decided by the release-team that gnome-power-manager would not be included in GNOME 2.14. Here was the stated reason:

  + gnome-power-manager: people like it, but some mor work is needed,
    and more integration should be done. It won't go in for 2.14, but
    we'd like to see a good integration work starting soon for 2.16.

I submit that unless such a decision points to specific feature, robustness, or integration bugs it lacks validity. Think of it this way: how is Richard supposed to know what to work on - or what if these can all be fixed within the day? This is one reason why we have the same discussions every release cycle.

Let me address the primary concern that was given - lack of integration. It is precisely because gnome-power-manager is well integrated that we are now having a discussion about whether gnome-screensaver should be excluded from GNOME 2.14 simply because it is well integrated with gnome-power-manager.

Allow me to point out that one of the most vocal opponents of both gnome-power-manager and gnome-screensaver has never contributed so much as a bug report to either project.

So, to address the question more directly, I will not redesign gnome-screensaver to fit more nicely with GNOME release process if it results in an inferior product and destabilizes the code. gnome-screensaver works very closely with gnome-power-manager and that is the way we all want it. For example, I would love to add the button link to gnome-power-manager that David has suggested.

I urge you to review your decision not to include gnome-power-manager in GNOME 2.14.

Thank you,
Jon