libgnome-applet, GnomeApplet, etc. etc.

On Sat, 2006-01-07 at 12:53 +0100, Carlos Garcia Campos wrote:

> >   + maybe it's a good time to consider making a libgnome-applet instead
> >     of libpanel-applet: there has always been discussion about having
> >     applets on the desktop, so...
>
> sounds reasonable

Ryan, Vincent and I (and others) have, at various stages over the last
two years, discussed developing a new API for applets that offers us
more flexibility, makes applets more consistent, handles a lot of
painful things automatically, and makes things much easier for
developers by providing a framework to allow what 99% of applets
encompass (an icon, a piece of text and some sort of dropdown/menu
available when you click, only obvious exceptions I can think of being
deskbar/mini-commander, (some of) wncklet and multiload).

We also wanted to handle the programatic addition and removal of applets
to allow for hardware hotplugging and possible implement some sort of
interface that allowed for applets to be dragged to and from the desktop
and the panel (similar to something in KDE's Plasma).

The only problem is that no one ever really got started, because no one
has really had the time to sit down and start it. The essence of the
discussion was captured here:
    http://live.gnome.org/AppletsRevisited

Perhaps now is finally the time to move forward.

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA